Add this to your weekly dinner rotation! This is one of my absolute favourite vegetarian dinners, that can be made in no time at all, and packs a huge flavour punch.
This recipe is very forgiving, and you can even add more veggies for an even more nutritious meal (try adding some spinach!).
Chana Masala (Chickpea Stew)Print Recipe
- 4 cups chickpeas (2 cans, drained and rinsed) or 2 cups dried, soaked for 8 hours, and then cooked
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Chana Masala spice*
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 bottle tomato purée or 1 can of crushed tomatoes (796ml)
- ~1 litre broth or water to thin stew to your desired consistency
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Rice or naan bread to serve
In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions until translucent.
Add garlic, ginger, and spices. Cook for 1 minute.
Add chickpeas, cauliflower, coconut milk, tomato purée, and broth. Bring to a boil, and let the stew simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust thickness with more broth or water if needed.
Add the peas and cook for a couple of minutes.
Serve over rice or with naan bread.
*I use this brand of Chana Masala
*Tomato purée or crushed tomatoes is my favourite but you can also use diced or whole tomatoes in this recipe!