Move over chicken noodle, there’s a new sheriff in town. This Mushroom and Orzo Chicken Soup is a new fave in my house, and I don’t know if I’ll ever go back!
You get the same comfort of chicken noodle soup, but with added mushrooms and tasty orzo (which yes I know is still technically a noodle…). And of course, you can’t forget that lemon to brighten everything up and make the flavours sing.
P.S I’m trying out a new way of writing recipes. No extras, just right to the point. Minimal text. Let me know what you think!
(Of the soup… and the recipe steps)
Lemony Mushroom, Orzo, and Chicken SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 454g mushrooms, sliced (cremini, shiitake, button, etc)
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 1 large carrot, small dice
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1/4 cup Pernod or white wine (optional)
- 2 litres (8 cups) low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs cooked chicken, chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup milk or milk alternative (or 2 tablespoons 10% cream)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
Large pot, medium heat. Add butter.
Sauté mushrooms, onions, and carrots until onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
Add orzo. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Deglaze with Pernod or white wine.
Add in chicken stock.
Bring to a simmer.
Cook for ~20 minutes. Orzo should be plumped.
Add in chicken and kale. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Add milk, and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.