Because sometimes you want coffee ice cream, but then there’s the thought of cookies n’ cream…. and why not throw some caramel into the mix.
This ice cream was fantastic – subtle coffee flavour, crunchy cookies, and sweet and salty caramel sauce.
I always let my ice cream sit out for a good 5-10 minutes before scooping (which is a real struggle) so that the consistency is more scoop-able.
Coffee Caramel Cookies & Cream Ice CreamPrint Recipe
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream (35%)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso t
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons creme de cacao (optional)*
- 1 heaping cup crumbled cream filled chocolate cookies (Oreos)
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce (homemade or store-bought)
In a large pot over medium high heat, add the milk, cream, sugar, and espresso.
Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally before removing from heat.
Whisk a small amount of the milk mixture into the egg yolks to temper them before adding them back into the pot (this helps to ensure you don't scramble them!).
Bring to just under a boil. Remove from heat and place pot in an ice bath to cool the mixture. Once at room temperature, place in the fridge overnight or into the freezer for about 1 hour to get the mixture as cold as possible.
Add the mixture to your ice cream machine and process for about 20 minutes until very thick. Add the crumbled cookies. Process for another 5 minutes.
Remove from container and smooth 1/3 of the mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Drizzle 1/3 of the caramel over top, and top with another 1/3 of the ice cream, and 1/3 more caramel. Finish with ice cream and a small drizzle of caramel.
Place in freezer for 1 hour to firm up. Enjoy!
* adding some alcohol helps to lower the freezing point which keeps the ice cream smoother. I still would advise to let it sit out for 5-10 min before serving to get the best consistency