Donuts! I know apples aren’t exactly in season, but I love them. And I love donuts. So hence some apple inspired donuts….Baked… because healthy-ish.
This recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour. You can also substitute all purpose flour. Give them a try!
This recipe was adapted from Choosing Chia. I changed a few things to my tastes.
Cinnamon Sugar DonutsPrint Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease donut pans with coconut oil.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined.
Use a piping bag or a plastic bag with the edge snipped to pipe the batter into the donut wells (fill about half way- they will rise quite a bit!).
Bake for 7-10 minutes (depending on the size of the donut pan). The donuts should be spongy and a toothpick inserted in should come out clean.
Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pans and cooling on wire rack.
Mix cinnamon sugar topping together in a small bowl. Brush the donuts with a small amount of oil, or spray with cooking spray. Toss the donuts in the cinnamon sugar until coated.
Store at room temperature.
* I reduced the apple cider down from 2 cups (boiled it for about 5 to 10 minutes) to concentrate the flavour, but you could also just use straight apple cider without reducing it. * These can also be baked in a muffin pan! Bake for 15-18 min for regular sized muffins.